BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 9, 2010

Book Review: The Shadow of the Wind

I have a thing for Spanish language authors, and it's no secret. I like to be seduced when I read. I like a narrative that grips my mind and incites passion in my heart. I like books that give me a very clear view of the deepest hearts of its characters. I even like things that don't have true happy endings. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is all of these things and more.

Ruiz Zafon's tale centers around Daniel, a young boy who discovers the author and other main character, Julian Carax, while looking through the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Daniel chooses Carax's book, also titled Shadow of the Wind, and he's instantly hooked. Of course, he wants to read more books by the wonderful author, but in trying to find his other works, he uncovers the tragic past of Carax. Through his detective work, he ends up finding more than he bargained for and begins to suffer as a consequence.

There is so much to love about this book. The descriptions of Barcelona post World War II are incredible, and Ruiz Zafon also has a knack for poetic descriptions of mundane things. I am really bad at describing things because when I read, I usually skip anything that doesn't directly pertain to the story or the characters, but in this case, I read them. I also really enjoyed his characterization of Daniel, a young boy who is a complete romantic and who can't help but fall in love with nearly every woman he meets. Fermin, a homeless man he befriends who ends up working with Daniel and his father in their bookstore, is a really fun character who adds a lot of levity in a sometimes very depressing book. The female characters are strong as well, even though they don't play a huge role other than being objects of desire. I especially liked Nuria, who I thought had an incredible female voice.

While I enjoyed reading, I was a little disappointed at how Ruiz Zafon chose to reconcile the mystery of Julian Carax. It was a little too easy. I also tend to despair when all of the women in a book are these super sexy temptresses who show up and ruin men's lives, and there was plenty of that in this book too. The only real saving grace is that they were smart, headstrong and not afraid to voice their opinions. It also read like a romance novel in some parts, although it wasn't over the top. No bodice ripping here.

I liked this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes mysteries. It's also loaded with romance as well, but the tragic type that at times to me felt a little unbelievable. I definitely think it's worth the read.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how Im a tag on your blog.