BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 2, 2010

Movie Review: Dinner for Schmucks

Ah, comedies. Sometimes you're not so funny. Sometimes all of your funny parts have been shown in previews, so that by the time I get to the theater, I've seen everything there is to see. I'm always really skeptical of comedies, mostly because I know how hard it is to write something that will make a wide range of people laugh. Dinner for Schmucks has gotten some lukewarm reviews, and I do agree that there are times when the film kind of drags, especially because it's a romantic comedy in disguise. But overall, I thought it was pretty entertaining, and I enjoyed that not every punchline was given away in the previews.

I know I mentioned in an earlier post that I like to be entertained. I find all forms of entertainment valid, even if they might not fit into the label of things I should like. This is something I have a real problem with. I actually broke up with a guy because he didn't think Joe Dirt was as hilarious as I did. He said it was beneath him to watch that kind of movie. I sent him packing, and he went home to rearrange his skinny tie collection while I stayed at my house and laughed my ass off. I guess if you're afraid of being judged for liking a certain kind of movie then maybe you have a bigger problem that needs to be addressed.

I like to laugh, and I certainly did during Dinner for Schmucks. What I particularly enjoyed were all of the cringe-worthy scenes they manages to pack into this film. That type of comedy is rare, and I thought it was done very well in this movie. I also loved how a lot of the dialogue was set ups and punchlines, which is a part of the reason why I love The Emperor's New Groove so very much.


Some of the stuff was a little mean, although the main character Tim (Paul Rudd), is aware that making fun of Barry (Steve Carell) is gross. But, the heart wants what it wants and Tim wants nothing more than to marry Julie (Stephanie Szostak) and get a big promotion at work. If you've seen the previews, then you know that Barry is the potential key to Tim getting that nice corner office. We basically watch Barry screw up Tim's life is ways that are hard to imagine, but in the end, everything works out. I don't think I'm spoiling anything here.

Jamaine Clement is hilarious in his role as Kieran, a hypersexual artist who has a thing for Julie. And even though Zach Galifianakis isn't in the movie for very long, he totally steals every scene he's in as Therman, Barry's boss and rival. The rest of the supporting cast is great too, although I wouldn't have minded some more Ron Livingston. Lucy Punch is really convincing as Darla, a woman who has been stalking Tim for years.

I will admit that I was not a fan of the crazy and/or stupid women in this film, although women are usually not treated very well in comedies, which is a shame. It was also tooth-achingly sweet at some points, which was strange but (I guess) all right. While this might not be a movie that you need to see on the big screen, I think it's definitely something worth watching. You'll leave the theater with a warm, fuzzy feeling, and that certainly isn't a bad thing.

1 comments:

Josie said...

Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that ROCKS.