BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 12, 2010

TV Shows You Need to be Watching: The IT Crowd

I have no idea how my husband found out about this show, but I'm so glad he did. At its most basic level, its a British sitcome about Ross, Roy and Jen, three folks who work in the IT department. Computer geeks everywhere would rejoice at the little inside jokes that are peppered throughout this show, but what I love it for is its irreverence.

At first, I didn't really like this show. I didn't know why, and I couldn't even tell you why, but this is a trait of mine that I've had ever since I can remember. I will irrationally hate something intensely, but then all of a sudden I'll notice something that I didn't before and then love it with all of my being. This is exactly what happened with this show. It was an episode where Moss, Jen and Roy are attending the funeral of their boss. Unfortunately, I can't embed the clip, but this is the very moment when Roy stole my heart - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOTW6gFQUlg

I know, right? It's so me. I especially love Moss, a superdork who passes out when he hears the word "bra" unexpectedly. Check him out here:



Jen is also a really great female lead. I love her because she is always trying to get ahead in a male dominated field, and she tries very hard to break the glass ceiling. What I think is very interesting about her character is that she is a feminist without being the feminazi stereotype. Most of her time is spent trying make sure that Moss and Roy stay firmly out of trouble, and she's rarely successful.

Which comes to my next point - this show is absolutely brilliantly written. It's funny, full of social commentary and random while not being too out there. Everything has a purpose, and it's almost Seinfeldesque in the way that little things from the beginning of the show will come back around full circle in the end. Some of the situations they get themselves into are absolutely hilarious. Plus, everything is better in a British accent.
If you have the IFC channel, I highly recommend that you set this show to record. If you like really smart comedy, you'll love this, I promise. The DVDs are also available on Netflix and you can probably pick them up at Amazon too. Such good stuff.

0 comments: