BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Movie Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World


Right from the very first second of the first preview I had seen for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, I knew I had to see it. I loved the look of the preview - the slick video game feel, the witty humor and the over the top fighting scenes seemed like something I would really enjoy, even though I secretly didn't want to admit it. It isn't often that something new and fresh in entertainment comes along, but with Scott Pilgrim, I can honestly say that it really has.

From the opening scene, it's clear that the audience is going to be in for completely unique viewing experience. As Scott (Michael Cera) walks around his apartment, little boxes pop up with information about his roommate and friends, just like they would in a video game. It's clear right away that belief needs not only be suspended, but shattered. When people kiss, tiny pink hearts leave their lips and flutter around them. Doors magically appear and people fly through them. Scott punches another character clear up into the air. He jumps through a window to avoid his girlfriend, then jumps back in to grab his coat.

All of this stuff is incredibly cool, but the story is actually pretty good. I have to admit I didn't think I was going to be able to get into it because I tend to really dislike romantic comedies. I also didn't think that I would like a story centered on yet another cool nerd cliched character. Somehow, it all worked together and produced something that made me smile throughout the entire movie.

I'm just going to add here that I feel like the imminent Michael Cera backlash will be coming soon. During the movie I tried to think about what was so great about him, and I couldn't really come up with any reasons as to why this kid is this popular. You know the universe will start hating on him any second now.

There were some parts where it felt rushed and other parts where it dragged. I just got my hands on the comic series so I'm curious to see how the characters develop throughout. Apparently there are much more detailed back stories for the exes, plus tons of other stuff I'm sure.

Should you see it? Definitely. While some of the older crowd might feel baffled by some of the references, I think that it's so unique that even if you don't understand, you won't be disappointed. I also scored a pretty cool guitar pick keychain that I've been rocking since the weekend, which was a nice added bonus.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I read the comics. I disagree with Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim. And, therefore, I'm going to wait until it comes out on DVD to see this. (If at all.)

Haha.

Luciana Celestine said...

My friend who read the comics said they could have chosen a better Scott. I still think it's worth seeing it in the theater though.

Sera Belle said...

I loved this movie!! =D I agree that Michael Cera isn't going be that loveable who continues to play the same character.